3.20.2009

Recipe: DiZazzo home made pasta sauce! pt.1

Yep, I've been holding it from you. Not anymore, though! This weekend I was busy getting something special ready for you guys, the recipe for pasta sauce which has been passed down the long line of DiZazzo's, to me, who is sharing it with you today.

Now, don't get me wrong, it may not be the best sauce in the entire planet... but I haven't tasted anything better anywhere. So unless you can cook me up a batch of pasta sauce that tastes better, I'm going to boldly claim that it's the best. Why? It's not over complicated with too many ingredients put into it like celery carrots and peppers. It's just a simple, traditional sauce!

Not only did I photo-document the whole process, I took little video clips of me doing some of the prep work that didn't involve using both hands. I had to hold the camera, after all.
This is going to be a long recipe, so I'm going to split it up into a couple of posts.

Lets start!


Ingredients:


Usually the recipe calls for freshly skinned Roma (plum) tomato's, but we're going to cheat a little and use something else. Who has time to skin tomatoes anyways? The sauce already takes long enough to make!


For the base tomato sauce
  • Aylmer whole tomatoes (5 cans)
  • Unico tomato paste (4 small cans, or 2 large)
  • Sugar (2 1/2 tbsp, more if needed)
  • Salt (2 tbsp, don't forget you might want to add meat which reduces the amount of salt you'll need)
  • Dried Basil (two handfuls if its freshly dried and unground, 2 tbsp if its already ground up)
  • Garlic (3/4 to 1 whole bulb of garlic)
  • Onion (1)
  • Canola oil - 1/2 cup ... BUT qty depends on what kind of sauce you're making ... meat sauce takes much more.










For Meatsauce

  • Ground beef (1 lb.)
Additional Meat Items
  • Pork side ribs (seriously don't knock it till you try it, its melt in your mouth good)
  • Meatballs (1/2 ground pork, 1/2 ground beef - will post a recipe for this later!)
Tools
  • a LARGE pot
  • a blender
So that's everything you're going to need to get started, see the following posts for details, pictures and videos!

No comments:

Post a Comment